SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Issue Number One

Why can't the NCAA figure out a way to determine the BEST football team in the land? Uh, in Division I anyway. I am against any sport that has outcomes even partially determined by "judges" (the polls). Ski jumping? Why not... WHO JUMPED A LONGER DISTANCE. Why are style judges involved in this? Ice skating. Forget it. Boxing? Nah. But boxing can easily be transformed away from judges decisions. Ultimate Fighting, anyone? Officials can make mistakes, but at least umpires are not determining safe or out based on style. Or Derek Jeter would bat 1.000 every year.

So back to my first point. Why is it that a small group spread out across the country can decide in part who is the best? Do we elect Presidents that way? Ok, bad example. Play a whole season with "one of" the best records to make the "playoffs" and go from there. Sure a team that barely makes it in could be hot at the right time and win, but thats all part of the system. Pro baseball, hockey, basketball, and maybe football (season is short, not everyone plays a similar schedule) do it.

Maybe each conference in the NCAA can have a champ (oh yeah, they do) and some playoffs can start from there? I know my idea sucks, but its better than whats done now.

Oh by the way, I don't really know squat about the NCAA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home