SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday Sports...What Sucks, Part 1

Thought number one: I saw a Denver Bronco punt return in the first half, the returner zigged and zagged through almost all the Raiders. He only had the punter to beat. And in such good fortune, he had a blocker ahead of him. The blocker was 13 year veteran linebacker Keith Burns. He saw the runner coming, turned upfield, saw only the punter in the way, and then chose to run PAST the punter to block...no one, because there was no one else between he (and the runner) and the goal line. What was he thinking? Did he want to joyously run into the endzone with the runner? Blocking the punter may have prevented that, even though just "getting in the way" of the punter would have been sufficient.

But that's not the only horrendous event on the punt return. I've seen NFL players amazingly break very good tackle attempts. I've seen runners literally drag several defenders for yards before going down. This runner avoided several tackle attempts by NFL quality defenders, some even touched him but could not stop him. Then he comes to the punter. He juked, and tried to go around the punter, who was able to dive fully stretched and just get a hand on the runners leg. And down goes the runner!?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home