SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday Sports...What Sucks, Part 3

NASCAR. Really. Not all of it. Just these two little tiny issues.

First: I'm watching and there is "debris" on the track. A small piece of something. So the yellow comes out. Everyone slows down, no passing allowed. Pace car gets on the track, the leader stays behind it, and the rest of the cars line up. Within a lap, every car is lined up behind the pace car. Plenty of opportunity for some track worker to dash out and pick up the "debris", and the pace car can get back off the track and the race can start back up after ONE lap under yellow, okay, maybe TWO laps might be needed on a shorter track.

BUT NOOOOOOO. Five or so laps of yellow flag "racing", so that all the cars can make relaxed pit stops which only affect track position that will be quickly made up since everyone lines back up before the race starts again. Can't they clear the track a little quicker?

Second: The Lucky Dog. Really, they have one. When the yellow comes out, the first guy behind the leader who is a lap or more down is "The Lucky Dog" and is allowed to PASS the leader (and anyone else on the lead lap between the leader and he) to get a lap back. No skill involved at all. If you are a lap or more down and just happen to be in the right place at the right time, you get the gift of A LAP. Now remember what insignificant thing can cause a yellow flag. As if a baseball team was given a run every time they trailed by at least two and there was a foul ball. But in NASCAR, even non-participants can affect the outcome. If I'm Joe Nascar fan and "my driver" was down a lap, and he was in the "Lucky Dog" position, I could toss an empty beer can onto the track, bringing out a caution, and allowing my guy to get that lap back. Is there anyone out there who thinks this is a good thing? Oh please NASCAR, get rid of the Lucky Dog rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home