SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

You too could be an NFL Head Coach

Just review the scenario and answer a question and see how you stack up against the NFL elite:

Its the playoffs. Its the 4th quarter. You are behind by three points. There's about 1:55 left in the game (your season, too). You have the ball. You are at your own 45 yard line. You have two timeouts left. It is 4th down, 10 yards to go. WHAT DO YOU DO?

If you answered GO FOR IT, congratulations, you could be an NFL head coach. Andy Reid of the Philly Eagles is an NFL head coach and he did just that. And they got enough yardage for a first down to keep their season alive! Problem for his team (but we are coaching so its not our fault) is that there was a "false start" penalty. So, 5 yards and repeat 4th down. Andy Reid decides to punt this time. Huh? What the flingin' crud are you saying? PUNT? PUNT? Umm, coach (and I am talking to you this time) why would you not go for it? Your team just showed that they can make it to keep the season alive. If we give up the ball (last time I checked, its a good thing to have the ball if you want to score) we must then stop the opponent, and we will likely not get any better field position but there will be less than a minute to go and we will no longer have any timeouts. If we fail to keep the opponent from just ONE first down, we will not get the ball back and our season will be over. So he can't really be punting. A fake? Nope. Punt.

As if I need to go on, but Philly did not get the ball back. the punt and then New Orleans' (the opponent) first two downs ran the clock to 1:37 and Philly used both timeouts. Best case would have been a stop, 40 seconds to punt. A New Orleans first down ended the game, though.

Maybe you can't be an NFL Head Coach. Too smart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home