SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What is Wrong with this statement

Item 1) Tiki Barber was asked during an interview about Eli Manning and his struggles. Here is what Tiki said: "Eli can handle anything, it's just a matter of us protecting him, keeping him confident so he's not getting hit, so he's not feeling pressure and forcing himself into mistakes."

What is wrong with this statement? May I begin? You can certainly add your thoughts in the comments. Tiki's main premise appears to be convincing us that Eli Manning can handle anything. If that is true, why do his teammates feel the need to protect him against seemingly everything, including himself? I would have no problem with this statement if Tiki had simply started this way: "Eli can't handle anything...".

Itme 2) I hate sad stories and death and all, and I certainly don't intend to minimize the death of Darrent Williams of the Broncos, but I heard a sort of pet peeve of mine from Coach Mike Shanahan when interviewed about the tragedy: "You never know why God takes somebody but I know one thing... He got somebody very special".

What is wrong with this statement? Coach, a murderer "took" Darrent Williams, not God. Very special people wouldn't have bad things happening to them if there was God watching over them all the time. I know I've heard before that the reason God "called someone home" when that person was not expected to die was that God just wanted to hang out (my words) with that person (No, I'm not intending to get into a theological debate on the subject of God). Most of all, by now, haven't we learned that God, if there is one, does not really pay attention to sports with all the other things to look after.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home