SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

It's already Saturday and there's football today!

I am going to tell you who is going to win the games today. How's that for fun reading? But first, let me tell you a bit about myself...nah, just kidding. Or not.

I have learned a bit about myself in picking games this year. I don't really care if I'm right or wrong most of the time. I have nothing riding on it. I will watch a game and something will happen to make me care who wins, and it doesn't matter if that is contrary to who I picked. For instance, if I pick a team to win and their opponent has some tragedy occur and the odds are stacked against them, and they make a big comeback and their coach is crying on the sideline as they are about to attempt a game winning field goal... well, I might just hope they win. My pick be damned. So what I'm saying is that my results mean less to me than a good storyline. Really, even if I had picked Dallas to win last week I would have been so happy to have the game end the way it did. That is a great story! Just the thing I can get behind. There may be stories this week. Difficult games to forecast, even matchups, colliding destinies. You name it, this week has it in four games. I'm not trying to excuse the inevitable wrong picks, I'm just saying it how it is. And I'm not going to take the easy route and pick all the home teams, either. I am picking three of them, but I'll have good reasons (for me. Which means nothing) for all three. Shut up already, I know.

Indianapolis at Baltimore
Baltimore has been a solid team all year. Winning games they are supposed to (which was a rarity this year). Baltimore is at home. Their field is outside. those last two items were direct digs at Indy. Facts are, Peyton Manning has a losing record in the playoffs. Indy Coach Dungy has a losing record in the playoffs. both are reversals of regular season performance. So to base a prediction of playoff performance on regular season performance for Indy is not a good thing. Mr. Manning just seems to gag in the playoffs. Not to mention that the Indy defense has totally sucked against the run (Baltimore runs a bit). Okay, Indy held down the K.C. running game last week, but did they? Or was it a case of K.C. not realizing what Indy was trying to do (stop the run at the expense of everything else) and just never adjusting from their "run, run, run" game plan? Come on, Indy stacked the line and K.C. obliged by running into a mass of bodies for little gain for three quarters. Not even half time gave them enough time to figure it out. What I'm saying is don't think that one game has turned Indy's D around. If that's the though, then there is no way that historical performance and a bad defense can win in the playoffs on the road against a solid opponent. Baltimore to win!

Philadelphia at New Orleans
I typed way too much about that last game. I'm getting tired and since no one pays me per word and all I really care about is getting my prediction on "paper", I'm going to be briefer all of a sudden. New Orleans has been a team on a roll all year. They are this year’s team of destiny. They are also pretty damn good. Philly lost a defensive starter (a cornerback at that) last week as they prepare to slow down the NFC's best offense. This game will be a shootout, or a New Orleans blow out if Jeff Garcia can't keep up. So sorry Philly fans, New Orleans wins this game.

Seattle at Chicago
I admit I have a little soft spot for New Orleans. I don't know exactly why. Maybe Katrina, maybe because Drew Brees was my fantasy QB...whatever. I also have a soft spot for Seattle because of the "Root for teams in sibling's home towns if your team is out" theory. Dig that. My take on this game... well, its in Chicago and the weather is supposed to suck. Chicago has a good defense. That's it for Chicago. Seattle plays well in crappy weather. Seattle has a playoff tested team, and coach. Seattle had a big, confidence building win last week. Chicago has NO offense. If Chicago can't score defensive and special teams points they will not win. Mike Holmgren will know this of course, and will coach his team accordingly. His players do not make stupid mistakes. I don't really foresee many points being scored, but I see Seattle scoring more than Chicago, and I don't see Seattle giving point to Chicago's D and special teams. Seattle to win.

New England at San Diego
(Super Bowl?)
This game may be the real super bowl. Try to stop the winner of this one from going all the way. Drunk or not, I will watch this game. I have absolutely no way I can predict a winner. San Diego has been THE team for most of this year. New England has the past performance and the recent results to lay claim to being THE team right now. Past performance? QB and Coach rule in the playoffs. San Diego can't say that. Their QB is making his first playoff start. Their coach has a history of not winning in the playoffs. if this game was in New England, the pick would be easy. If LaDanian Tomlinson didn't play for the Chargers (and when I say that I mean all the Chargers who play with him of course), then the pick would be easy. Something tells me that San Diego just has too much for New England to overcome, past history or not. Just too much. Barring injuries or other unknown future factors, I see the winner of this game winning the Super Bowl. Seriously. Watch this game.

Okay, If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Maybe even before it happens and I change my mind about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home