SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Monday, November 13, 2006

How did I do on my picks?

Not too good. My spiffy decision to include my picks against the spread as well seems to have confused my picking acumen. Had I just put my considerable narrow focus into just picking a winner (I am good at that, so I've been told), like I did last week, I would have done much better, as I did last week. Experiment over.

I am withholding judgment on the guest picker. For now. But the guests better miss once in a while or I might abandon that idea, too.

On to the results...yuck:

Green Bay at Minnesota
"Minnesota at least knows humiliation, and they will not lose to a second lousy team in a row (I have no idea what that had to do with the Bears last week). But they aren't really very good either, so Green Bay covers with the gift of 5 1/2 points."
Minnesota needed more humiliation. How they can fit it all in the Metrodome I couldn't tell you. But I got the spread right!

Baltimore at Tennessee
"Baltimore even covers the 7 1/2 they are giving the Titans."
Egads, it was close. A one point win should not please the Ravens, but I'll take it.

Houston at Jacksonville
"JAX wins it, but I think it'll be close enough for Houston to cover with the 10 1/2 they are getting."
If not for Miami Chicago last week, this would be the upset of the year. I am excused for not seeing it coming. But again, I nailed the spread pick!

Kansas City at Miami
"K.C. covers it."
My worst pick this week? Missed both guesses, so maybe. We'll see...

NY Jets at New England
"(Upset game?) Something tells me that the Jets could win this. New England was hot, then got rolled at home by Indy. I smell a downward trend for New England. This is one where I don't even agree with the other half of myself, but I certainly don't see New England covering 10 1/2 points. Not this week. But I gotta pick it..... New York Jets to win."
I have left the whole text of the original pick. I want you to read it again. So do you. I told you this would happen. Can I take extra credit for this one? Erase one of my wrong ones?

San Diego at Cinci
"Chargers cover."
Big time comeback, lots of points. I nailed the outcome. The Chargers like me.

San Francisco at Detroit
"I gotta go with the Lions. ...getting 6 1/2 points, the Niners can cover...."
I missed another straight pick, got lucky on the spread. See, if you pay attention, and pick the favorite to win and the underdog to cover, you can split a lot of games. Its really a cheap way of doing it. So what. Oh yeah, this game was ugly. I watched it.

Washington at Philly
"Philly, at home, no problem, give Washington 6 1/2 points and Philly still covers."
Nicely done by me as Philly romped. My third game in which I nailed the winner and the spread. Third and last, unfortunately.

Buffalo at Indy
"Call me after the game, I want to hear how amazing this pick was. Buffalo wins it."
Hot damn I almost called this one too. One more point? Can't I... I mean Buffalo...get one more point? I should take the credit for this one, too, it was so damn close to super-upset. I am starting to smell like I know what I'm thinking. It smells like an overheating toaster.

Cleveland at Atlanta
"I'm getting tired. Atlanta wins this one. At home, giving 9 1/2 points, they cover. Its Cleveland, yo."
I was tired. That's my excuse for this pick. I should have seen the Vick implosion coming.

Denver at Oakland
"Denver carries the 8 1/2 points in a rousing victory."
Denver again causes me anguish by playing down to the level of their opponents. Way, way down in this case. Oh, they won the game, but I will remember the facts. Of course, if I had done a little research I would have seen that this is a great Denver tradition. Good example of why I am bailing on spread picks from now on.

New Orleans at Pittsburgh
"Saints to win. And for the joke of the year so far, the Steelers (at 2-6) are actually FAVORED to win over the 6-2 Saints."
Hmmm. Someone in Vegas knows more than me? I'm shocked. So are the Saints.

St. Louis at Seattle
"Uh, Simply put, home team wins. That's Seattle."
Odd game. Seattle takes it by 2. Nothing to be proud of, Seattle fans. But I'll take that end of the pick. I'll take anything about now.

Dallas at Arizona
"Dallas. I hate them."
Arizona did not win.

Chicago at NY Giants
"Giants give 2 1/2 at home as home favorites, and they cover it."
Now I know. Eli Manning crashes and burns 8 weeks before his brother does. Point taken. As long as teams keep handing the Bears bizarre TD opportunities, I will not pick against them.

Tampa Bay at Carolina
My sister said, "I pick the Panthers over the Bucs. Johnson and Smith are going to have excellent games and romp all over the poor pitiful Bucs (sorry Annie) It will be a good day in our house!!!"
Damn she's good.

My scorecard: I picked only 7 of 16 winners, makes me 17-13 in my two week history. I picked only 7 of 16 against the spread. Only 3 did I get both ways, while 5 I missed both ways. Bad, bad week. Try to forget it. As for my sister. 1 for 1, and Johnson and Smith go for 14 catches, almost 200 yards, and two TD's. Damn she's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home