SportsRandom

Reading sports blogs has ruined sports for me. Just like becoming a cop ruined cop shows for me. I used to enjoy watching and reading about sports. Now I watch hoping someone will screw up, or do something strange, so I can rip them. First in my own mind... now in a blog of my own, so I can talk about whatever I please. Here's hoping I can contribute to someone else looking for all the fault in the world surrounding the sports we love.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sports AND Random.... this one is random

I am watching the American Music Awards. It occurs to me that America's taste in music is declining. The BIG performance was Lionel Ritchie, doing 14 year old songs. That's not too bad, I suppose, but they also had Barry Manilow? And it seems that he has a current hit album out? This is not good. But the Grand Finale is coming up. I'm excited. According to the guy I've never heard of who is about to introduce the Grand Finale, "We did seen a lot of 'dope' performances tonight. My favorite being Mary J, Jamie Foxx...". Uh, that's two, dude. The Grand Finale? Snoop Dogg. I rest my case.

My favorite AMA moment, without a doubt, and maybe, just maybe, some justification for one of my pet peeves, one that even extends to sports... thanking God. Mary J. Blige thanked God (all his glory, da da da...). It was the first "thank" she said. She won again and thanked God again. We know Mary, we know. Carrie Underwood thanked God first, too. At least one other early winner thanked God. I almost started counting, but I was playing on-line poker too and lost track of the winning moments sometimes. But oh, was I paying attention when they announced the winner of the best "Inspirational Artist", formerly known as gospel, of course.

The winner was well known gospel artist, Kirk Franklin (I read that on the internet). He approached the podium, dressed very nicely in a suit, and the FIRST thing he said was that one of the other nominees was his favorite band and said something nice about them, then I think he thanked his mom, and/or other family members, and record company dudes or something... I'll admit I really didn't pay attention to exactly what he said because I was waiting for him to praise God and all the glory of His music that he makes come out of his mortal vocal cords. Something like that. Franklin NEVER thanked God. This is the musician who seems to have a good feel for God, and His place in his life, since he spends his career singing His praises. Seems he is also aware that he is doing the singing, it's his talent, inspired by and in tribute to God, perhaps, but not imparted into him by God's majesty, and no fake "Thanking" going on to try to appear as anything other than what he is.

The moment continued: He then said that he just hoped that the way he lived his life (whether in honor of God, he didn't say) was a good example to others. Then he quietly walked away from the podium.

I didn't hear Snoop Dogg hoping he was living his life as a good example to others.

Peace out, homies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home